Close to 4 years ago I attended the Institute for Integrative Nutrition and my own life and health changed forever. Before finding this course I still smoked, usually daily, I had no idea how to eat in a way that would make me feel great, or how to take care of myself and find balance. About halfway through the year-long program I attended one of the live conferences in California with my sister Cami and we were both blown away by the people who spoke there and how huge an impact they were each making on the World through their work as healers, chefs, entrepreneurs, coaches, etc.
After the conference, on the drive to Santa Barbara, Cami and I talked about how we wanted to use this education. I was very excited to try corporate wellness and help companies keep their employees happy and healthy and also to do something that I had always loved, but didn’t previously feel very empowered to do, share information through my writing. Cami, on the other hand was interested in coaching one on one and working with women. So what does all of this have to do with changing the name of my site? Well, as Cami and I talked about our vision for changing people’s lives we also brainstormed business names. The words fresh and fierce really stuck out to me and we wrote them down that day. I ended up choosing a more city-centric name since I was working in NYC, but I still called my blog ‘Fresh & Fierce’ because I loved the words so much. Finally, I’m in a new city and have become clear that writing is my passion and my calling and I need to write, maybe full time, maybe as a hobby, but this site will now be dedicated to that love and passion for sharing information.
These two words merge together two awesome ideas; living a healthy life and feeling awesome doing it, here’s what I mean:
Fresh- Food, ideas, destinations, and inspiration.
Fierce- There are a few definitions, but I like this one, ‘showing a heartfelt and powerful intensity.‘ Believing in who you are and sharing that with the World.
I will still be offering my coaching and yoga teaching services, but also want to make this a place for learning, conversation, and creation first and foremost. Hope you’ll join me here often!
In honor of my new name, I’d also like to start a new tradition with the first ‘Fierce list’. Today’s list is dedicated to Women in Wellness that I admire for their amazing work. These chicks are FRESH and FIERCE, and I feel so lucky that I’ve had the opportunity to work with them:
1) Sasha Yoga + Wellness– Sasha is like my other twin sister. We have the same likes and dislikes, both do some serious asana and love sun and sand. Sasha is also one of the most dedicated yogis I know, she loves to share her wisdom and run around NYC teaching a million classes a week. She’s a one of a kind unicorn.
2) BeWellWithArielle– My first day working at IIN I noticed two things 1) there were a ton of beautiful confident women there and 2) everyone was wearing really cool rings and necklaces with a silver heart and a pearl in the center. I tracked down the source and purchased myself an i love me ring from Arielle’s collection, she let me walk around with it on and make sure it was the right fit, both spiritually and literally. Arielle is one of the sweetest women I’ve ever met. She has a huge warm smile and takes her work very seriously. She is now a superstar, doing cooking shows on Glamour and helping the planet learn to cook easy and healthy food.
3) Bananas and Bellinis– My sweet friend Kelsey is one of those people that you can tell anything, is super warm, and friendly and will always make you smile. Her site is dedicated to those that want to be good but also a little bad. She’ll help you find the right balance of both and have a great time doing it.
4) Whole Foodie Booty– Shannon is amazing at so many things. She cooks, she coaches, she plans. If I had to plan another wedding (please no, never again), I’d ask Shannon. She’s a serious do-er and a great friend.
5) 8020 Wellness– When I started my work in corporate wellness I literally googled coaches in NYC and Lauren popped up. I called her and we’ve been friends ever since. She is a fitness and wellness rockstar, helping companies and individuals feel and look awesome. She is also an amazing friend and committed to bringing great women together.
6) Blair Badenhop– I’d describe Blair as a Jill of all trades. She was my boss for part of my time at IIN, running a large part of the company with ease and grace and I learned a ton from her! She’s now branched out on her own to write, coach, and inspire people to fall in love with their lives. Pretty freakin’ cool.
7) Lemon Stripes– The day I met Julia I thought, I want to grow up and be like this girl. Julia get’s shit done in a serious way and she is so transparent and straight forward that you trust her instantly. She’s also tremendously talented and runs one of the most popular fashion blogs out there. She’s always sure to throw in some wellness as well. I don’t know much about fashion, but I always trust Julia to tell me what is in and out.
8) Crop Tops and Kale– Created by three of the coolest chicks I know, Crop Tops and Kale gives a serious (but lighthearted) look at fitness, food, health, fashion, and feeling good. More ‘F’ words that I love!! Dana, Leisha, and Bridget are all super talented and I have a feeling this will be everyone’s go-to site for useful information in the very near future.
9) Stephanie Morish– Steph and I attended Yoga Teacher Training together last year in Thailand and became fast friends. She is one of those people that you just immediately get along with and will be your friend for life. Steph is passionate about Ayurveda and cooking to maximize health and has become seriously educated around both topics. I’ve learned a ton from her, including how to make some amazing Kitchari!
10) Goddess Glow Wellness– Michelle is a sparkly little Grecian with a heart of gold. She offers great advice, health coaching and is a fellow adventurer. Check out her blog and enjoy a ton of fun and thoughtful advice weekly!
11) Living Body Wellness– Diana is super smart and creative, works full time, and has two kids; she knows a thing or two about creating balance. She is an amazing writer and has been coaching women for a long time. Having worked with Diana I can say that she won’t quit until the job is done and always has a million ideas. Check out her pretty new site for tons of great articles focused on health, inspiration, and family.
Thanks for all the amazing inspiration ladies, keep up the #fierceness!